Millions set up Netgear Nighthawk routers in their homes to access a flawless internet. And, Netgear routers have fulfilled the expectations of users with their excellent performance. However, some users are unable to get the most out of their devices. The reason is that the power LED on their Nighthawk routers stays amber.
If you are also going through the same problem, then you’ve reached the right post. In this article, we will make you acquainted with various troubleshooting hacks that will help you fix the issue in a snap.
Fixed: Netgear Router Power LED Stays Amber
Check the Hardware
The first and foremost reason behind the amber power LED light issue with your Netgear router is damaged hardware. So, check whether you’ve plugged your Netgear router into an active wall outlet or not. Also, make sure that you are using the power adapter that came with your WiFi device.
If everything seems perfect from your end, then chances are that your Netgear router is dealing with technical glitches.
Avoid using a surge protector to power up your Netgear router. To protect your router from power outages, you can also use UPS.
Reboot Your Netgear Router
Technical glitches not only cause the power LED to stay amber but can also make your router non-performing. So, it is necessary to get rid of them. Thankfully! Rebooting is the solution to resolve hardware- and software-related glitches.
To reboot your Nighthawk router, follow the steps given below:
- Ensure that your Netgear Nighthawk router is receiving a continuous power supply.
- Switch off your router and let it stay without power for some time.
- Once you feel that you’ve given enough time to the router, switch it on.
In this way, you can reboot your Netgear Nighthawk router.
Note: You can also reboot your WiFi device by accessing the Netgear Nighthawk login page.
Update the Firmware
The firmware is a software embedded in a Netgear WiFi router that manages its overall functionality. If not updated timely, it can also lead you to the ‘power LED on my Netgear router stays amber’ issue. Therefore, performing Netgear firmware update is of utmost importance.
Just in case you are unaware of the process of updating the Netgear router’s firmware, here are the steps to follow:
- Turn on your Netgear router if you haven’t done it yet.
- Connect the router to the modem.
- Open a web browser on your PC and type the Netgear router login IP into it.
- Press the Enter key.
- You will be redirected to the login page of the Netgear router.
- Fill in the default username and password of your Netgear Nighthawk router into the required fields.
- Click Log In.
- As soon as the Netgear Genie dashboard appears, find the Firmware Update option.
- Once found, click Check Online.
- Your router will check if any new version of firmware is available.
- If it is, then follow the on-screen prompts and upgrade your Nighthawk router’s firmware.
Reset the Router
Updated the Netgear firmware, but the power LED on the router is still amber? Don’t lose hope. Here, we have the ultimate hack. All you need to do is to restore your Netgear Nighthawk router to the factory default settings.
To reset your Netgear Nighthawk router, follow the given instructions:
- Turn on your Netgear router.
- Now, look for the Reset button on your router.
- Found? Good. So, grab a sharp object.
- Using it, press the Reset button carefully.
- Releasing the button will restore your Nighthawk router to factory default settings.
Once done, reconfigure your Netgear Nighthawk router by accessing routerlogin.net.
This was all about what to do if the power LED on your Netgear Nighthawk router stays amber. We hope that the aforementioned troubleshooting hacks will bring you success in resolving the issue.