Last Updated on February 5, 2023 by admin
Table of Contents
Introduction to Dumisani Dlamini
Dumisani Dlamini is a legendary South African actor. He famously starred in the 1992 movie Safari, which also starred Whoopi Goldberg. Dumisani Dlamini is the father of Doja Cat. He is 50 years old and was born on May 2nd, 1965. Dumisani hails from Pietermaritzburg, where he went to school at Edgewood Secondary School. He then studied drama at Wits University under the renowned Kath Mainland, who introduced him to the world of acting.
Dumisani Dlamini: as an actor
Dumisani Dlamini has appeared in several films and television dramas throughout his career. Some of his notable appearances include:
- Reyka (2021)
- iNumber Number (2017)
- Project MorningStar (2009)
Dumisani Dlamini: Awards
Last year Dumisani received a Lifetime Achievement Award at the 10th annual Naledi Theatre Awards held at the Teatro At Montecasino in Johannesburg. The inaugural SA Film and Television Awards (Safta) Nominate him for a Best Supporting Actor – TV Drama Award (2007) for his excellent performance in Usindiso. Safta also nominated him as Best Actor – TV Drama in 2017.
Doja Cat’s father, Dumisani Dlamini, is currently working on two films – Mzansi Girls and The Color Purple, which stars Whoopi Goldberg, with a planned release date for both movies in 2019.
Dumisani Dlamini : Jobs
Dumisani Dlamini has held several jobs in his time, working as both a teacher and lecturer for drama. He was the head of drama at the State Theatre, Pretoria, from 1990 to 1993. Later, he moved on to become an acting consultant for drama at Isango Portobello in Cape Town. He is currently one of the leading academics for the South African School of Motion Picture Medium & Live Performance. His other lecturers include Sibongile Mngoma and Deon Lotz.
Doja Cat’s father, Dumisani Dlamini, played soccer growing up alongside Macbeth Masengani, with whom he started at amateur club Qumbu Eagles Football Club – otherwise as AmaMbatha. His passion for soccer began in the mid-1980s when he was a goalkeeper with Orlando Pirates FC.
Dumisani Dlamini: works at different places
Dlamini has worked with notable charities such as Oxfam SA, Discovery New School, and Sunday’s Child Foundation. In 2017 he became an ambassador for the non-profit organization The Zito Trust. It offers free aftercare to those with facial injuries resulting from child burns. Doja Cat’s father, Dumisani Dlamini, currently resides in Joha Ginsburg. He shares a home with his seven children: Anele, Lumkile, Noluntu, Sikwane, Whozondzondzongo, Doja Cat (de jure) & Qaphela (de facto). He also has nine grandchildren.
Doja Cat’s father, Dumisani Dlamini, is a masterful actor with notable roles in television and theatre. One of his most recent performances was Uncle Mdletshe in Last Train to Johannesburg at the Fugard Theatre. It ran from June 3rd – July 1st, 2017. Dumisani Dlamini is currently married to Connie Mabaso (née Nhlapo), with who he has been married since 2015. The couple shares Siyabonga and Silungile, whom they adopted after their biological parents passed away during childbirth.
During the early 1990s, Dumisani briefly met with Cat’s mother, Deborah Elizabeth Sawyer. He used to perform in New York’s theatres. At the time, Dlamini was on a theatrical tour of some kind.
He decided to remain in the United States once it was over. Later, Dlamini went to visit the Jewish American woman Deborah who was the mother of Cat. Dumisani and Deborah Elizabeth Sawyer, Cat’s parents, reportedly wed early in 1995. They had two children together, Raman Dlamini and Doja Cat. Dumisani later admitted in 2022 that he fled the USA because he was unhappy.
Additionally, he claimed that he had attempted to return to his birth country with his family, Cat, her sister, and her mother but had been unsuccessful. However, according to some stories, Cat’s mother had financial difficulties when Dlamini left. Doja Cat and her brother were raised by Deborah alone in Los Angeles when she and Dumisani separated.
In what plays does Dumisani Dlamini appear?
Dumisani Dlamini is a renowned actor and has played numerous plays such as Macbeth, Asinamali, and King Kong. Some of his most notable television appearances include ITV’s Skeem Saam (2013), SABC 1’s Buntu Africa (2006), and Isidingo (1996). He also played Dingaan in Percy’s Pride – a half-hour family animation airing on SABC1. Other telenovelas he acted in are Plek van twee sterre on SABC 2, Hotnotseer on SABC 1, and Soul City on M-Net.
Some facts about Dlamini
Doja Cat’s father, Dumisani Dlamini, was born in the Eastern Cape town of Queenstown, South Africa, on May 26th, 1958, to Azaria Zondo (deceased) and Alice Mbatha (deceased). As one of six children, he has four brothers: Deegan (deceased), Bongo Thomas Luthuli (deceased), Nomarashiya Nokwezela (deceased), and Malusi Dlamini.
- In 1988, Dumisani Dlamini was arrested in Mpumalanga on ANC membership charges and had ties with the underground organization Umkhonto we Sizwe. He requested amnesty for both offenses in 1991.
- Dumisani is an avid African National Congress (ANC) member and has painted opposition party colors on his vehicle. In 2013, he competed in a triathlon with their support.
- Doja Cat’s father, Dumisani, has a child from a previous relationship named Qaphela, after Capela-data. An orange citrus fruit found in South Africa is grown in the Eastern Cape. Capela was born in 1998 and is an aspiring musician like his half-sister Doja Cat.
- Before pursuing acting full-time, Dumisani Dlamini was a drama teacher at both primary and secondary school levels.
- After acting full-time, Dumisani Dlamini did a TV and Radio mechanics course and was even offered a job with the SABC. Instead, he chose to become an actor because of his love for theatre.
- Dumisani Dlamini has one notable hobby: reading books about Mao Tse-tung’s theories – the former leader of Communist China.
- Today, Doja Cat’s father, Dumisani Dlamini, resides in Johannesburg with his wife, Connie Mabaso (née Nhlapo), with whom he has been married since 2015. The couple shares two children named Siyabonga & Silungile. They have both been adopted due to their biological parents passing away during childbirth.