Last Updated on November 23, 2023 by Asfa Rasheed
Are you wondering what to do with a junk car? Whether the car is mechanically or electrically damaged or completely totaled from an accident, it doesn’t deserve a spot in the garage. Such vehicles gradually become a headache, and you want to discard them immediately.
However, selling the car to a private buyer is a tedious task, and you may get no good deal in the process. Moreover, it can be unpleasant that the dealer might not be interested when you attempt to make a trade-in for the car.
But don’t worry. There’s an easy way to get rid of the car, and that’s by selling it to a local salvage yard or junkyard for cash. You need to contact them and get the best deal. So, if you want to sell a junk car to a junkyard, here’s a step-by-step guide for you.
Table of Contents
Contact A Licensed Salvage Car Dealer
First and foremost, you need to contact a reliable salvage car dealer. You can find many local junk yards in your area that purchase vehicles and offer instant cash. You can also do an internet search and social media check to get customer reviews on the salvage dealers in your locality. It is always advisable to select a reputed junk car service that follows state and local rules.
Provide Car Details
When you find a reputable junk car dealer to sell the car, ensure that you have all the details ready. This will make the selling process quicker and help you receive the best quote for the car. Details that you need to provide are car title, model, year, make, any missing parts or major damage, engine condition, body condition, mileage, and where the car is located currently.
Get An Offer For Your Junk Car
If the salvage yard is interested in your car, they will make an offer to you over the phone. Even if the junk car no longer runs, many salvage yards will like to purchase it as the car parts are still valuable.
Though the value of the car depends on its current condition and model, there are some other factors that can affect the final value. Such as the car’s weight, scrap metal prices, year, and completeness determine the value of your old junk car.
Compare Costs and Offers
After contacting several salvage yard owners, compare the offers you got and the total costs for delivering the car to the yard. If your car is still running, it will not be much problem. But if it isn’t, you must arrange a tow truck to pick up the car.
Sometimes, salvage dealers provide free towing, while some may charge or deduct the cost from the final settlement. You need to compare these costs and choose the right dealer suitable for you.
Complete The Paperwork
Although it’s possible to sell a junk car without proper documentation, you may get less amount than expected. Therefore, you need to get the car title in hand to transfer the ownership to the dealer without any hassle.
Furthermore, you must understand the local and state laws while selling a junk vehicle. At some point, you may need legal documents to scrap the entire car.
If your car title is missing, you can go to the local or state DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles) and ask about the requirements for your area. Depending on your current location and car’s age, a car title may not be required. Otherwise, you can obtain a new title. To cancel the title, you need to submit the license plate to DMV.
Schedule A Pickup
Once the paperwork is complete, schedule a pickup time for the car. Most salvage yards offer free junk car removal. They also arrive on time and tow the car direct from your home without any charge.
Prepare Your Car
Before handing over your car, there are some instructions you need to follow:
- Remove your personal belongings and accessories from the car.
- Empty the car’s gas tank and remove other fluids.
- Remove valuable parts like car batteries or oil filters to sell them individually by yourself.
- Remove the car license plate.
- Take out non-metallic things like window glasses, seat covers, etc.
- Cancel insurance, if any.
Sell The Car and Get Paid
Finally, when you’ve prepared the car, it’s time to sell it to the salvage yard. When selling the car to a reliable salvage dealer, they always pay you the said amount. Be aware of those who further negotiate for a lower value during the pickup.
You need to hand over the keys and other necessary documents. They will pay you instant cash and take the car. It’s a good way to earn some money by selling an old wrecked car.
Inform The Insurance Company and DMV
You must inform your insurance company and DMV that you’ve sold the car. Also, make sure to remove the license plate before junking it or transferring it to the new car.
A Quick Overview
Selling a junk car to a local salvage yard can be a convenient way to get rid of an old, unwanted vehicle while making some cash. However, the process of selling a junk car to a salvage yard can be confusing, especially if you are not familiar with the process. In this article, we will provide a step-by-step guide on how to sell a junk car to a local salvage yard.
- Determine the Value of Your Junk Car Before you start contacting salvage yards, it is important to determine the value of your junk car. The value of your car will depend on its condition, age, make, and model. You can use online resources or consult with a mechanic to get an accurate estimate.
- Research Local Salvage Yards Do some research on local salvage yards to find the one that offers the best price and service. Read online reviews and compare prices from different yards to find the one that suits your needs.
- Contact the Salvage Yard Once you have selected a salvage yard, contact them and provide them with the details of your vehicle, including its make, model, year, and condition. The salvage yard will then give you an estimate for your vehicle.
- Provide Necessary Documents Before selling your car, you must provide the salvage yard with the necessary documents, including the title, registration, and proof of ownership. If you do not have the title, you can obtain a duplicate from your state’s Department of Motor Vehicles.
- Schedule a Pick-Up Time Once you have agreed on the price, schedule a pick-up time with the salvage yard. The yard will typically tow your vehicle away for free, and you will receive payment for your vehicle.
- Receive Payment After the salvage yard has picked up your vehicle, they will inspect it to ensure that it matches the condition that you described. If everything checks out, you will receive payment for your vehicle.
Selling a junk car is a straightforward process. But it would be best to opt for a reputable salvage yard to get the best deal. Also, you can remove valuable parts from the car for scrap metals. You can earn more than only junking the entire car.
Read more: COVID-19 and the border Bridging Visa.