If you’re an online poker player in the US looking for the legal states you can play poker online, you’ve come to the right place. Poker has been in the country as far back as your memory goes. But in 2011, major operators were shut out of the country. This was after they failed to adhere to the ambiguous laws put in place. But in 2013, New Jersey, Delaware, and Nevada legalized online poker. Today, several US states offer online poker. And in this detailed guide, we will explore the four states where you can play online poker in the US.
Table of Contents
Michigan is home to over 10 million citizens and also ranks as the second largest state to offer online poker. This is a significant milestone considering the state became the latest to legalize online poker.
The state followed Nevada, Delaware, and New Jersey in signing the Multi-State Internet Agreement (MSIGA) in 2022. This effectively opened the state to various operators looking to offer online poker to players in Michigan. The agreement also allowed operators to pool MI players with those already on the market from the three states.
Some of the Michigan online poker sites players can enjoy their favorite titles include WSOP.com, PokerStars, and BetMGM Poker.
This state was one of the first ones to legalize online poker and eventually issue licenses for poker sites. That was in 2013 and Nevada continues to lead in the online poker space and new operators are also battling to have a slice of the cake in a relatively sealed-off market.
WSOP.com is the only authorized site that offers online poker in the state. It boasts fairly steady traffic, with about 500 to 800 players during peak hours. Besides, the move to pool with players from New jersey allows it to offer bigger prize pools.
Of course, its domination in the market will not last forever, Several operators are already circling around. They include Partypoker and Pokerstars.
This state made online poker legal in 2017 and has built a massive industry around it. But it was until 2019 that players in Pennsylvania started reaping the benefits of legal online poker gambling.
This was the year PokerStars officially launched its site. Since then, online poker players have seen cash games and tournaments grow. Traffic followed suit as is the case with prize pools. One of the latest tournaments was the PA Spring Championship of Online Poker which guaranteed $2 million over 96 competitions.
Borgata Poker and BetMGM joined the fray in April 2021, with WSOP.com following a few months later.
Delaware made online gambling legal in June 2013. This also meant poker players could access poker online. The only downside to this state is its rather small population which makes it difficult to increase the overall prize pool offered in tournaments somewhat limited. That also applies to cash games.
But the state’s decision to join the Multi-State Online Poker allowed 888/WSOP to share its pool of players and liquidity from Michigan, New Jersey, and Nevada has seen it increase in participating numbers. That ultimately translates to bigger prize pools. Players in Delaware can access their favorite poker games at sites operated by Delaware Park, Harrington Raceway, and Dover Downs. Each of these sites is powered by 888poker.
This is the latest state in the country to legalize online poker after it passed the regulatory law in 2019. West Virginia has since been issuing the first licenses to qualified online poker operators. Still, the state is conducting final preparations that will see these sites start offering real money online poker to West Virginia poker players.
- PokerStars: This is the leading online poker site worldwide. PokerStars boasts a presence in Michigan, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey. This iGaming is also home to some of the biggest poker tournaments and numerous cash game tables.
- WSOP.com: This is another major online poker brand in the United States with a presence in NV, PA, MI, and NJ where it hosts WSOP events. The variety of tournaments is what makes WSOP.com
- Partypoker: The site is powered by industry leaders and Partypoker is present in MI, PA, and NJ. It offers tournaments, major tournament series, and cash games.
- BetMGM: This site offers players a range of bonuses and promotions when signing up or as an existing player. It also features a wide array of tournaments and cash games.
- Borgata Poker: This site is available in PA and NJ only although it’s also a part of the BetMGM family. The site runs on the Partypoker software backed by one of the biggest live casinos in Atlantic City.