Last Updated on January 30, 2024 by Asfa Rasheed

Are you thinking of changing the name on your US passport? Changing the name on your passport is a crucial step, regardless of the reason—marriage, divorce, or a change in legal name. Maintaining the accuracy of your passport is essential for smooth travel since it serves as your official worldwide identification. Let’s explore the procedure, requirements, and crucial procedures needed to properly change the name on your US passport in this comprehensive tutorial.

Recognizing the Importance of a Current Passport

Your passport is more than just a piece of paper; it is a global representation of who you are. Any inconsistency, particularly one involving your name, may cause issues while traveling abroad. For travel to go well, possessing an updated passport is essential for everything from booking flights to getting through immigration.

Reasons Behind a US Passport Name Change

People request name changes on their US passports for a variety of reasons related to life events. People frequently change their names to reflect their new marital status after getting married. Furthermore, divorces or changes in legal name might call for a new passport. For worry-free travel, it is crucial that your passport accurately reflect your current legal identification, regardless of the cause of the change.

Eligibility Criteria: Who Qualifies for a US Passport Name Change

It’s not too difficult to figure out who is eligible for US Passport Name Change. Passengers who have received their passports within the last year are entitled to a name change at no additional cost. But if your passport is older than a year, you will need to renew it via the regular procedure and pay the required expenses. This guideline ensures a seamless and accessible process for all applicants by outlining a standard method for people wishing to change their name beyond the one-year period and by providing a clear pathway for those who fall outside of that window.

How to Change the Name on Your US Passport

Collecting Essential Documents

Get all the paperwork needed to start the procedure. This consists of a valid passport, a completed passport application form, a recent passport-sized photo, and a certified copy of your marriage license, divorce decree, or court order for a legal name change.

Filling out the application for a passport

Complete the passport application form completely and accurately. To avoid any inconsistencies, make sure that your existing legal documents are consistent. You can get this form from an acceptance facility or complete it online.

Submitting the application

Once finished, mail the application and the necessary paperwork to a passport acceptance facility or an official passport acceptance facility. The required payments, which change depending on the application type and processing time, should not be overlooked.

Awaiting Handling

The time it takes to alter the name on a US passport might vary. Regular processing usually takes four to six weeks, while expedited services can get your passport processed in two to three weeks.

Important Advice and Things to Think About

  • Timeline: To minimize stress at the last minute, start the name change procedure well in advance of the intended trip.
  • Accuracy: To avoid delays or rejections, be sure that all of the information you provide corresponds with your legal documentation.
  • Fees: Learn about the costs involved with changing your name, including any expedited services that might be required.
  • Legal Advice: It may be wise to consult a lawyer in situations involving complicated laws or unusual circumstances.


Your passport is your international identification document. For smooth travel experiences, make sure it appropriately represents your current legal name. A name change may seem overwhelming, but it is a reasonable undertaking if the proper paperwork is obtained and the prescribed procedure is followed. The secret is to be well-prepared and detail-oriented. Take the required actions to update your passport so that you can travel the world hassle-free, regardless of the reason for the change—marriage, divorce, or a formal name change.