Our modern innovation and technology significantly rely upon the production of minerals and metals. Moving to copper, which is one of the most useful industrial metals, has improved our way of living. Today, we cannot imagine our lives without copper as most of our important operations like power, lighting, heating, communication, water supply, and transportation involve the consumption of metal.
Usefulness Of Copper
Copper is a naturally occurring non-ferrous metal that has numerous useful properties like high electrical and thermal conductivity, corrosion resistance, strength, malleability, ductility, and many more. The common usage of copper is listed as follows:
- Copper is a good conductor of electricity. It is widely used in electric generators, motors, wiring, motor vehicle radiators, air-conditioners, and home heating systems.
- Copper sulfate is utilized as a fungicide to prevent plant roots from blocking drainage or sewage systems.
- The metal is reddish, lustrous, and shiny. It is embraced for decorative purposes. Various coins are made with the help of copper.
- Copper has antibacterial properties, which help to kill bacteria and minimize pathogens in the hospital rooms.
- Copper’s high melting point property makes it an ideal choice for high-temperature applications. You will find it in the base of the saucepan, heat exchangers in boilers, and heat sinks in electrical equipment.
Demands Of Copper
Copper is one of the most important metals and oldest known commodities that helped humankind to excel in innovation and technology. The demand for copper is expected to grow up to 50% in the next 20 years. You might know of the World Bank’s 2017 report entitled “The Growing Role of Minerals and Metals for a Low-carbon Future,” which implies that demands of metals and minerals could rise tenfold by 2050. Various projects are being developed to ease copper demands which tend to increase in the upcoming years. Different companies like Codelco, Hindalco Industries, and Three Valley Copper TVC are operating to expand copper production growth and exploration services. However, if you would like to analyze the Three Valley Copper TVC, you will get to know about their activities in the future.
Recyclability Of Copper
You’ve heard that the principle of reducing waste is to reuse and recycle, which fosters sustainable development as well. Luckily, copper is a metal that can be recycled infinite times without losing any of its highly valuable properties. You would be amazed to know that up to 30,000 tons are melted every year in the Atlantic. Copper might be obtained from different sources like tubes, wires, and granulated copper for recycling purposes. Political stability and environmental regulation play a great role in the operations of companies emphasizing and predictability.
Copper has made our daily chores more efficient, comfortable, valuable, and decorative. It is really an important metal to humans and combines more useful properties than any other metal can probably. There is enough copper to meet present and future demands, but it should be used sustainably.
Read more: What Are The Uses Of Copper?